Thursday, December 8, 2011

spend

I'm writing tonight from the warmth of a living room filled with friends. Everyone is "studying" and I just made cinnamon rolls... something I've been craving for weeks now. Glad I finally took care of that one.

I have to confess that tonight's #reverb11 prompt might be my least favorite one on the entire list. I don't like to talk about money. Why? I'm not sure, I just don't. I'll probably take a little twist on this one:

The prompt: Where did you spend money?

The number one thing that I am willing to spend money on is (gas and) food. And by that I don't mean that I like to eat pricy food, but rather that I am almost always willing to pay for a meal if it means getting to go out to eat with people. There's something about eating together that brings such great fellowship. Hey, even Jesus did that, right? ;)

I'll also admit to the fact that I'm the type of person that will sometimes spend small amounts of money to reward myself.  Chickfila sweet tea after a long day, a pretty necklace after a week of tough tests, a new book because it's... Tuesday?... you know, that type of thing. But above that, I enjoy spending money if it means getting to do something sweet either for someone or with someone. 

I read Ann Voskamp's blog post the other day about her four year old son asking her this question one night as she turned off the lights to put him to bed: "Mommy, what does Jesus get for his birthday?" She described with such grace the impact of that question, the faith of that child, and how years later, her family still chooses to spend their money at Christmas time not on presents for one another, but on Jesus' desire for us to take care of the widows and orphans. I think it's beautiful. I love that their entire family is on board with that together and the way they find such joy in sharing what they've been given.

I've been given a lot in my life in a lot of different ways. Luke 12:48 tells us that to whom much has been given, much is also required. We are called to live with open hands, recognizing that nothing we have is really ours anyway (and that includes our money). I pray that the Lord would continue to open my eyes to the ways He would have me to give of myself-- my time, my resources, my wisdom, whatever it may be.

I wish I could write more, but we've started another movie (it miiight be the fifth one today. love finals week.) and I simply can't concentrate anymore. Part of giving of myself means soaking in as much time with the people around me as I can right now, so I'm going to go do that.
Enjoy the short blog post for today, friends ;)


I'll close tonight with my only picture from our trip to the mountains. We really did study a lot. Surprised? I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...