Wednesday, November 9, 2011

writing

In this current phase of my life I think a lot about what I want to do... what I want to be. And you know what I so often come back to?

I dream of being a writer.

Maybe I picked the wrong major. (I know I didn't...) A lot of days I feel that even if I really have nothing to say, I just want to write. I've talked about a life dream of writing a book one day. I've talked about how I like to write to process things. I've talked about how often I feel the Lord gives me things to share and how I'm blessed to hear if it touches even just one heart.

Now, you might say "Laura, you're not that good of a writer..." and maybe you're right. But that's okay. One thing I know is that much like anything (and much like I'm being constantly reminded lately as Laura Sue and I yet again make attempts at pursuing running) the more you practice it the better you get at it. When I read back over my posts from last December, I'm touched at what a different caliber of writing and sharing I had when I was writing on such a consistent basis. Through that, and through the fact that there are tons of blogs that I read each and every day, I've made a decision. As I continue to intake more and more information (I've become a big fan of reading lately) I've got to have some method of processing it and pushing it out again.

So I'm going to start writing every day again.

How long will that last? To be honest, I'm not really sure. But it's something I've been contemplating for a while and goodness knows if I've ever had the time, it's now. All my posts certainly won't all be deep, they won't all be eloquent, and I surely don't expect anybody to read them all. But hey, it's worth a try, right?

On a wholly unrelated note, I read this blog today from one of the bloggers who is currently in Ecuador with Compassion International. I got started on this by thinking "I want to blog with an organization like that..." and got fully sucked into this blog. The funny thing is that I read for quite a while before realizing that this blog was written by my recent favorite author, Ann Voskamp. I'm an idiot? But I love the way she writes, the way she listens to the Lord, and the way she serves. The Farmer she refers to is her husband and I love the way they love and serve together. It makes my heart smile when I read about her watching him love the Lord's people and recognize God's provision in their lives. Isn't that kinda how it's supposed to be? I can't wait to continue to see their Ecuador story unfold. Put that blog at the top of my daily stalking list.

That's all for now, dear friends. I'm now going to go finish making cornbread for our Thanksgiving potluck tomorrow with about 40 of our closest friends. I'm making my grandma's homemade dressing. I've made with her and made it with my mom, but never on my own before. I have mild confidence that I can do it... I hope.

2 comments:

  1. Good Morning, I assume you are talking about your Grandma Bonner's dressing. I make Grammies dressing. I have just gotten into reading Ann Voskamp blog. It really is good. By the way do you every read my commits or read my blog?? lifesaseason.blogspot.com If you do read it, please read the first blog first , then whatever. If you ever read my commits, let me know on email, or fb love aa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like this post just sang my heart song. It's almost exactly how I feel about writing, Ann Voskamp, everything.
    I've also spent a lot of time wondering if I chose the wrong major -- because I want to be a writer but I'm devoting so much time to work that has nothing to do with writing (I'm currently in grad school)
    But I know that writing every day, or at least every other day, helps me. It helps me process and be more conscious and thankful. And it helps me feel like I didn't choose the wrong thing, that I can write regardless of school or jobs or anything else.

    Happy writing :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...