Tuesday, August 9, 2011

thoughts

It's my last night at home.

I finally got all my stuff unpacked, organized, washed, and just the way I like it and guess what? It's time to put it back in the car once again.

I feel like my life is a series of moving and packing but I suppose that's the college life. As I head into my final semester at Georgia, I have such mixed feelings. Truth, I am about to explode with joy to get back to the Classic City and to be with my sweet friends and roommates. I'm beyond excited to get to spend my every waking hour again with these girls (plus a few fantastic new additions!). I'm dreading the thought of college ever ending and me leaving behind 100 but at the same time, I'm ready to see what's going to happen after this semester. I'm thrilled at the thought of living somewhere new and being on my own. Is that weird? Probably so. I didn't say I wasn't afraid, I just said I was thrilled.


Despite the fact that I haven't been home long, I'm already tired of the feeling of not doing anything super productive. I guess that's just the nature of who I am-- I'm not a fan of sitting still for very long. I think it doesn't help me that this guy has officially begun teaching high school this week and meanwhile, I'm sitting at home wishing Mississippi weren't so far away. Part of me would like to think that I'll miss him less when school starts back and I'm busy. All of me knows that isn't at all the case.


This guy is getting married next weekend. It's hard to believe how fast time flies. I'm so excited to go to their wedding and see the both of them and be a part of celebrating this new chapter in their lives. Rachel is beyond beautiful and Fausto might be one of the most legit people I've ever had the joy of knowing so I can't wait to see this all come together. I still think they might be crazy for letting me take pictures at their wedding... but I guess I'm up for a challenge. Mostly I'm just excited to have so many ck1'ers back together for a weekend. There's nothing as sweet as family.

Sorry Rachel, I didn't have any award-winningly ridiculous pictures of you this time... 

 I went for a run tonight for the first time since school let out. It was rough, but it also felt amazing. The whole time I couldn't get these kids off my mind. I've decided that I'm going to start progressively telling the stories of the kids and adults that made a huge impact on my life this past summer, so here comes installment number one. Some days I feel that I don't have nearly as many of those stories as I wish that I did, but in the long run the words of my sweet friend David always come back to me. One night as I was upset about how little time I felt I spent directly investing in the lives of kids due to my role at camp, he grabbed me by the shoulders, looked me in the eyes, and reminded me that I've had ample opportunities to talk one on one to kids but the work I did this summer gave that opportunity to people like him who had never had it before. Reminders like those pulled me through those times but I've completely sidetracked from my point... so tonight's story is about these kids. (specifically the one in the big hairbow.)


On our third cycle of camp, I got to host my first church group all year. I was so excited to have that time to turn off my AD role and just love on this group of kids and adults each night. I got even more excited when I got to play host for FBC Picayune. I've been to Picayune a time or two but had heard countless stories about these kids already. As I ran up the aisle of the auditorium the first night to take them to church group, a precious little girl named Hannah (I'd been on the lookout for her already) jumped out at me (literally) and latched herself onto my arm. Before we were halfway to the room a large number of them had joined her and they were already quizzing me on their names and telling me hilarious stories.
I got a chance to love on these kids throughout the week but as the middle of the week approached, I told myself that I probably wouldn't take another church group for a while. Why? Not because I didn't love them-- they were seriously one of the biggest blessings of my entire summer. Between sitting with the leaders and talking life and ministry for half an hour at lunch and sweet little Kelsey sharing her giant hairbows with me, they couldn't have made me smile more. But I felt that I hadn't been able to give them as much love and attention as they deserved. My job lends me to being out of sight most of the day and I hadn't gotten to be with them as much as I would've liked to. 

Daniel, their fantastic church group leader, had asked me at the beginning of the week to share my testimony with them on Wednesday night. Wednesday had been one of the craziest days of my entire summer and I remember thinking to myself during my 3 minute shower before worship and church group time that I hadn't even thought about what I wanted to say to these kids. It was all in the Lord's hands and yes, I shared my story that night, but I honestly couldn't tell you what else I said. I spoke for quite a while and I just have to trust that God worked through my lack of preparation. 

Thursday night rolled around and church group time was incredible. I hung back afterwards to talk to Karen, Daniel's wife, about the week and what the Lord had been doing in the kids. I told her exactly how I felt about having been church group host and thanked her for what a blessing they had been to me, hinting at how I wish I had done more for them. Karen knocked me flat off my feet that night in talking about what an impact I had made on their group. Long story short, she shared with me that some of my favorite little girls (don't tell... sometimes I pick favorites) including sweet Kelsey had accepted Christ the night before after hearing the Lord speak through my testimony, I believe not because of any words that I said but because God was working through all aspects of camp and speaking directly into their lives. Nothing could have been more reaffirming to me or brought me more joy and this group is still laid upon my heart this many weeks later. Every summer there are just those kids that stick out in your mind, the ones you know that the Lord has mighty plans for. I continue to pray for Kelsey and I hope I get to see her again... I get the feeling I just might.


They were legitimately my favorite. I love these kids. So great to see such sweet community and such sweet joy in the Lord. Funny how God uses us to bless while we are being blessed at the same time.

That was my story for the night. I have quite a few others that stick out, but they'll come eventually. It's like a chapter book... you never know what's coming next. (That was a joke. In fact I'm shocked if more than 3 people read all the way through this blog anyway...)

That's probably enough of my random babbling for tonight. Here are a couple more things that are making me smile on this beautiful, final night in Marietta.

I just discovered my sweet friend Holly has an awesome baking blog.

Have I mentioned that my awesome friend Lauren is on Etsy? Check her out. I hope to be as cute as her one day.

And last but not least, please enjoy this music video. I know I have. Makes me wish for a lazy, rainy day...





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...