Friday, January 21, 2011

five for friday

Time again for the weekly Five for Friday? I think so. It's been a long and crazy week with classes starting back and I'm looking forward to the rest of this afternoon and tomorrow where all I have on my schedule is smoothies, gymnastic meets, a haircut, and a lot of doing nothing. I should probably throw some homework into that mix...

five thoughts for the week!

1. I have the best, most selfless parents in the entire world. Really. Over Christmas break I was reminded of this when they graciously hosted me and all my camp friends for the week of Passion. My mom is all about the details-- making sure everybody has everything they could ever possibly need-- and I loved watching my dad take interest in everyone's lives. He told me later that one morning at breakfast my friend Fausto told him "you guys are just like Laura... but different." I hope and pray that's true. The reason this week that I was so reminded of their love for me and for the Lord (despite their constant reminders) is this: I called my mom yesterday to chat about life and to ask her for prayer. She's my best friend, after all. A good friend of mine has a family member in the hospital near my house and upon finding out, my mom immediately offered to go sit with them, take them brownies, or even just go take them a Coke to break up the monotony of sitting in the hospital. While I didn't let her do that right then, it is more than precious to me that she is so willing to serve and even to serve people she doesn't know. She called me at least four times throughout the rest of the day wanting updates and such. In fact she just called me again as I was typing this. Gosh she's incredible. I'm grateful to have parents that love the Lord the way they do and I hope and pray that Fausto was right-- I want to be just like her one day.


2. A long week sometimes calls for you to do things to make yourself smile, even if it just means fun pajama pants and the constant playing of chill music. Two thoughts on this one: If you've never checked out noisetrade, you should get on it. Also, Target is one of my favorite places on earth. Sometimes my roommate Anna and I partake in what we call "target therapy".


3. I'm getting super excited about Image Night coming up next Thursday. If you don't know, Image Night is an event put on by the uga bcm women's ministry twice a year and is a great time for girls to just worship together. I am more than excited about the way the Lord laid the theme of this on my heart, showed me an incredible verse, and gave us the perfect speaker who just so happens to have a passion for our topic and miiiiiight even have my theme verse tatooed on her back. Just saying. Also, if you know me then you know I love to decorate and Karen and I are getting pretty excited about what the evening will look like. My sweet friend Kendell is even lending us some of her artwork! If you're a girl in Athens, you should come check it out for sure. I can't wait to see what the Lord does with it.


"Our soul has been set free like a bird; the net is broken and we are free." --psalm 124:7

4. I'm getting wayyyyy excited about camp things! I have a skype date with the wonderful Mary Carlisle this afternoon and I'm also thrilled for my good friend Daniel who recently found out the Lord has granted him the opportunity to be a camp pastor this summer. I know he's going to do a great job! I'm also getting super excited about director weekend in March (even though it's way far away) for several reasons. First, I get to spend a few days with some amazing people, second, I get to talk about camp all weekend, third, I get to find out who's on my team, and fourth, I get to fly there. I'm kind of obsessed with airports. I've only gotten to fly alone once before (and the circumstances didn't lend to me enjoying it to it's full) but I'm pumped about it. There's just something about navigating the Atlanta airport that makes me feel like a success... Also, look at my cool friend Katie and Daniel being amazing on this logo. So fun.



5. Five... five is a stretch. I'd like to say something profound and spiritual to close this out but I'll leave you with this: I learned this week how to pick a lock. I'm actually kind of proud of this. My roommate accidentally locked her bedroom door (not the first time we've dealt with this around here... though this time it didn't end with the door frame in pieces.) and her poor little dog had been locked inside all day. After trying every technique in the book, I called a friend who told me how to pick a lock. I tried it. It worked. We all screamed. Then the dog peed everywhere. It was awesome. So this is a shout out to friends who are willing to tell you how to pick locks-- thanks :)

Blessings, friends! I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...