Tuesday, November 9, 2010

joyful, joyful

"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." --1 Tess. 5:16

The last time the Lord put this verse on my heart, I was clinging to it as a daily reminder to continue to be strong and to give thanks to God, even in rough circumstances. This morning, as I stumbled upon it yet again, (stumbled, as if it were some sort of accident...) it is still of course a reminder but one viewed in a different light. Somehow this verse is so much easier to live out when everything in life is so beautiful. The other day as I was driving down beautiful roads on my way to visit some friends in Toccoa, listening to a friend of mine preach on a podcast, and smiling the entire drive on a buzz of good news and good friends, I could not help but acknowledge the fact that I have everything I could possibly need right now and that life seems to be taking a wonderful turn for so many people. Just as my precious friend Jeremy and I talked about that night, the Lord is so faithful to take us places we never imagined we could get to when we sincerely turn over our lives and our plans to him. Sure, there are things I would like to add to my current life, but the reality is that I fully believe God has the perfect plan and knows the perfect timing and to be honest, those extra desires are beginning to melt away. And that too is a beautiful thought.


It is worth mentioning, though, that I can't be proud to say that it's so much easier to be joyful, pray continually, and give thanks in all circumstances when everything is wonderful. Of course it's easier! But God doesn't put those conditions on it. The real test of faith is how honestly you can claim this verse in the valley, not on the mountain. And I am willing to admit that I'm not always the best at that. I have had more thirst for God's word, seen more of Him moving, and been more continually in conversation with Him in the past few days than I have been in a while. I'm grateful to finally feel out of the valley, but I wouldn't trade the things I learned there for anything.

A good friend called me yesterday to tell me wonderful stories of how God is working through his life. It was an unspeakably huge encouragement to me and I am daily so proud of the man of God I know him to be. God is using him left and right and it made me stop to assess myself. God is using me too, but in different ways. As of lately, he's using me the most to simply be an encouragement and to provide a picture of his loving hands to the people around me-- be it phone calls to a person who needs an ear, staying up all night with a sick friend, or just sharing His word with someone. Some of my favorite moments all week are walking through Romans with the girl I'm discipling. God teaches us both so much during that time and I love how she influences me as much, if not more, than I influence her. And while I wish these stories were more miraculous and epic, I wish that for my own selfish glorification. I want to be full of fantastic stories but is it because I want to see God's Kingdom moving or because I want to be visibly seen as a vessel for the Lord? A little of both, if we're being honest. Still, I know God's opportunities pass by me likely every day and I'm trying to make a conscious effort to look past my agenda and be open to God's. Elijah knew God to be in the tiny whispers, but in honesty I'm usually talking too loudly to hear those.

Be joyful always. Always, good or bad.

Pray continually. Every day may the very beating of my heart cry out God's glory.

Give thanks in all circumstances.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...