Tuesday, April 5, 2011

freedom

I believe that very often I am too quick to just agree with things without ever stopping to ask questions. Why? What does that mean? What do I think about that? Unless I blatantly disagree with something, I tend to just go with it. In conversations with others I think that this is based out of my nonchalant desire to avoid conflict but over the years I have learned to be more proactive with these situations. Often times the same can be true of me reading scripture. Hear me right, the bible is the infallible word of God. I believe every piece of it to be true. But often stopping to dwell on the meaning of one verse can fill us up more in a day than reading straight through an entire book of scripture. Digest it. Ask questions-- not of whether or not it is true, but of why it's worded the way it is and what exactly is meant by it. It's true, yes, but what makes it true? Where are the connections? What does it mean for me?

The other night I was reading through Galatians 5 and I didn't make it very far. I read the first verse and stopped, slightly puzzled. Maybe it was just in my exhaustion that I didn't think of this sooner... maybe it's obvious to the rest of you. But the verse says this:

"It is for freedom that Christ has set us free."

Christ has set us free. I got that part... but in that moment, I had to think through the beginning of the verse. It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. I think I would expect it to read something more along the lines of "It is for His glory that Christ has set us free.". What's so special about freedom, in and of itself, that it is the answer to the question of why Christ would pay it all to set us free? Almost seems like answering the question with itself, doesn't it? Everybody who's ever been to school knows you're not supposed to do that, right? Christ paid such a huge price to set us free just for the sake of freedom itself? There has to be more to it than that. Christ has to be receiving something in this situation, doesn't He?

We are set free not for our sake but for the sake of freedom... Freedom must, then, be that important to Christ. Like I said, I would expect it to read that it was for His glory that He set us free. But freedom brings glory, right? Christ has set us free just for that-- that we might be free. Once we are free, we have to choose what to do with said freedom and therefor bringing Christ glory becomes our choice. I'm sure it's so much sweeter to receive glory when it is freely given than if it were an obligation. Christ could force us all to glorify Him. He could, but He doesn't. He set us free for the sake of freedom-- that we would be masters of our own decisions and thereby be able to consciously hand that freedom back over to Him and allow Him to become everything and us nothing. Verse 2 of the same chapter says not to let us be burdened again by the yoke of slavery. But He gives us the gift of freedom and we can to trade it in and enter into being His servant for life. The difference here is that when we enter into being His servant, scripture tells us that His yoke is easy and His burden is light. This verse isn't saying to avoid slavery at all costs-- it's saying to choose wisely who will be your master. Because of freedom, we have the gift of choosing to give that freedom back to enter into the slavery that is love at it's purest form. Wow... that's a circle to follow. Confused? Let me see if I can sum it up in one sentence...

It is for freedom that Christ has set us free because freedom allows us the beautiful choice to let Him gently and lovingly take full control of our lives.

He gives us freedom to watch us give it back to Him, only to find ourselves living in the full freedom of the Gospel. It's everything. It's confusing. It's beauty and incomprehensible truth. I might never fully get it but hey, faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you cannot see.

This weekend I watched several students at River Hills walk into freedom. Some of them were accepting that freedom for the very first time, some of them were tasting what it meant to allow Christ to have control of the freedom they had been given. It is there that we find we truly live and my heart was beyond bursting with joy to see these kids that I love so dearly grasp hold and understand Christ's truths. The Gospel is moving. It is at work. I loved seeing Christ move in mighty, inexperienced ways and I loved the magnitude of the reminder that He sure didn't need my help to show up. Yes, He used our leaders and our staff this weekend but I think we would all agree that the life change that happened was by nothing we did but solely by the power and the magnitude of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. mm, tis so sweet to trust in Jesus.

I'll leave this post and return to my homework now with a few of my favorite random images from Saturday morning. These kids are incredible. God has mighty, mighty plans for their lives.



 This is so sick... The newest member of our team.

 Sometimes in life you hurt your knee in the bushes. I love how annoyed he looks about this.

3 comments:

  1. This is solid. Boom. I might make you share this on a Sunday night ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oo... i'm a writer, not a speaker.
    but maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree...solidness fills this post.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...