Sunday, December 19, 2010

try.

I wasn't going to do it. I simply wasn't going to write today. I'm tired... and by the time I hit the submit button, it will inevitably be after midnight anyway. But I'm operating lately by some wise words of a man named Scott: "Get through it, not out of it.". So forgive me, friends, for being a little bit behind schedule. I think it's going to tie nicely into today's Reverb 10 prompt anyway. :)

the question: What do you want to try next year? Is there something you wanted to try in 2010? What happened when you did / didn't go for it?


a piece of the answer:  I feel like I'm writing New Year's resolutions right now. Next year...
I want to try to always finish what I start.
I want to try to skip less class.
I want to try to be a better friend.
I want to try to run more.
I want to try to come home more often.
I want to try to spend more time with the Lord.
I want to try to write more often.
I want to try to get better at photography.
I want to try to be more adventurous.
I want to try to get more sleep. Please.
I want to try to be a consistent blessing to someone.
I want to try to find a wonderful internship. (any takers?)
I want to try to plan out women's ministry events in a more timely fashion.
I want to try to visit more friends.
I want to try to be ministry-minded, 24/7.
I want to try my hardest at everything I do for the sake of bringing glory to God, always knowing and being thankful that my insufficiency is made up for.

I tried a lot of new things and often stepped out of my comfort zone in 2010, and I don't regret a second of it. Every experience in life is valuable and shapes our path, our daily footsteps, and I believe that often times the scariest ones are the ones that are the most worthwhile. For whatever reason, I always think back to the week my friends and I spent on a houseboat after graduation. In between all of the swimming and laying around laughing together, we would explore the lake and climb up and jump off insanely high cliffs into the water. It was terrifying, but worth it all the while. My life feels a lot like that sometimes. I'm afraid to jump off the cliff, but it's rewarding at the bottom. In truth, sometimes when you hit the water the wind will get knocked out of you and you'll have to call desperately for help (really, that happened to me on that trip and we still laugh about it today.) but it makes for a great story and a great life lesson in retrospect. There is beauty in the unknown and hope in the knowledge that as we try things, we are assured victory in Christ regardless of our failure. So hey, why not? It'll take me a few to jump off the ledge, but I've got to come down somehow anyway, right?

just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...