Monday, December 27, 2010

ordinary joy

okay, okay... blogging keeps getting put on the back burner for me tonight. Before I head into tonight's reverb 10 challenge (this one is more of a challenge for me than a prompt) I felt it was worth mentioning that thanks to all of you, I have finally reached over 1,000 page views! I'm well aware that a lot of people get a thousand views per post but for me this is quite the accomplishment, so thanks for helping me get there!

the question: Our most profound joy is often experienced during ordinary moments. What was one of your most joyful ordinary moments this year?

my answer: 
I have sat here in front of this blog post for quite some time now and have decided this: I can't answer this post. In fact, I just told my roommate, Season, about how I simply cannot answer this. She's got me probing my mind right now and per usual, I think I'll share with you a couple of the candidates for the win:

eating sandwiches by a waterfall, conquering omc with less than 20 kids, greeting a friend I'd been missing, roller skating in the living room, mattress surfing down the stairs, laughing until I can't breathe (a frequent occurrence), building forts in the living room, making cupcakes, playing with my brother, taking a great picture, hearing good news, sitting by a fire with a friend, sitting on the curb eating ice cream and watching the cars go by, walking through a pretty downtown, snowball fights at a gas station, fingerpainting a sheet, seeing children come to know the Lord, photoshoots with the roommates, looking through magazines, browsing the bookstore or pulling off a great event... none of these could be fails because each of them are special memories from this year, shared with incredible people that I love. But I think I've picked one to write about specifically. It's one of my favorite ordinary moments that I will cherish forever. Confession: it's actually from the end of last year but hey, who's counting anyway?

I have a giant world map hanging over my bed in my apartment. Late one cold afternoon, my neighbor Meghan came over to chat with me and take a break from packing up her room. She was graduating, moving out, and getting married. Meghan has meant the world to me for a long time-- she's got a couple years on me and took me in when I was just a freshman. Living next door to her was always a blessing. Mamma Meghan would make us breakfast, watch Lifetime movies with us, laugh about our love lives, and do just about anything we all wanted. Meghan has the sweetest heart of a servant and I loved those last few weeks of her being in Athens and still cherish her occasional visits. On this December afternoon, Meg and I found ourselves laying on my bed staring up at that map and dreaming of all the places we would love to visit. We found countries we never knew existed, picked places to live in our dream lives, and laid there in silence just soaking in the moment. I don't know why this moment stands out to me as being so precious and beautiful, but I cherish the memory of that hour very deeply. Joy really can be found in the most ordinary of moments... often times it isn't about what we're doing so much as it's about who we're with. I love this story because it's a fleeting moment in time spent with a precious friend that exudes such joy-- not loud and excited joy but peaceful, simplistic joy that holds so much beauty. I could've picked something crazier, I could've picked something more spiritual, I could've picked something more prominent and life changing... but I love how this moment speaks to the ordinary days with people you love. Mmm.


I leave you tonight with these totally unrelated photos and this question: What does it say about me that my best subjects the past few weeks have only been dogs? I'm so ready for people to start showing up here for New Years. Two more days...

 AJ... I love that old gray chin.


 Claire in her natural habitat-- a blanket.

Lilly... Okay, she's not my dog but I miss her already. I love her Christmas bow in the snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...